The Vokkaligara Sangha was founded in the year 1906, by the late Sri. K.H. Ramaiah to promote Social Cultural and Educational aspirations of the agricultural community of the erstwhile Mysore state. Land for this purpose was given by the late Maharaja of Mysore, His Highness Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar. The Sangha was initially running a hostel called ‘Vokkaligara Hostel’ which was providing hostel facilities for all communities. Many distinguished Educationalists, Political leaders and philanthropists of Karnataka hailing from rural areas have made use of this hostel facility during their educational career. Later the Sangha concentrated on providing quality education to aspiring youths of the country in Medical, Dental, Physical Therapy, Pharmacy, Nursing, Engineering, Arts, Science, Commerce, Law etc.
The Sangha is governed by an executive committee consisting of 35 elected members who elect a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and other office bearers. Each college has its own Governing Council under a Chairman who are the policy makers and programme planners for their respective Institutions. The Principal along with the teaching and the administrative staff implement the policies and the programmes in accordance with the guidelines prescribed by the University and other related statutory bodies.